Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rough Seas and the Comforting Calm

As many of you know, last Friday our sweet boy was given the "official" diagnosis of a diaphragmatic hernia (a hole in his diaphram which in our case has allowed part of his small intestine to enter his chest cavity). After a "inconclusive" ultra sound on Thursday he was in a much better position for them to view "what" was in his chest cavity. As of this past Monday, only a portion of his small intestine is in his chest cavity and no other organs are involved (a very good thing at this point!). This is a serious condition, and he will require surgery soon after he is born to repair the hole. I will see my doctor weekly for ultrasounds to monitor any other movement and to monitor my amniotic fluid to make sure that he is processing it as he should be!

After complete shock and lots of other emotions- as Daniel talked-we just kept saying over and over-God has SO gone before us in allowing us to have this ultrasound at 32 weeks. If I had been in any other OB-GYN practice-we would not have gotten this ultrasound and our Preston Banks would not have had a fighting chance! We are now making plans to deliver at Richland where every doctor, nurse, and machine he could need will be there waiting on him! I will never be able to thank Dr. Shipley and his staff enough for their caring and thorough approach to prenatal care...

Since last Friday, we have had shots, phone calls, another ultra sound and an emotional roller coaster like I have never before been on. In reflecting tonight on all of those emotions and the extremes that they have taken us to, I can honestly say that I am at a new and precious place in my walk with God, my relationship with Daniel has deepened and grown and stretched into loving him in ways I have never imagined and I have a little different prospective on parenting.

I don't even know how to begin to put into words how much each phone call, e-mail, text, meal, card, prayers left on our phone and prayer time together has meant to Daniel and me...we are overwhelmed by your friendship and generosity. We know how it feels to be a part of the body of Christ...but you are showing us this on a new level as we journey this together. Thank you for all of the ways that you love us...we love you more than I can put into words.



Please pray specifically:
-That our faith would be increased as God shows us step by step what HIS plan is for the next few weeks until delivery AND for HIS plan when Preston Banks is born
-That our thoughts would be consumed by God's promises and not the "what if's" (especially when I'm up in the middle of the night! :)
-That our meetings with the pediatric surgeon, neonatologist and NICU staff on December 30th will help us prepare for and answer our questions about what will be best for Preston Banks when he is born
-That we will find a "new normal" and enjoy family time with Mary Wallace




Below are pics-the first one is at 20 weeks and the profile is from my 32 week ultrasound.










No comments:

Post a Comment