Sorry that it's been so long since I've updated! In about 2 1/2 hours I will begin my life in the 30's and I have so much to be thankful for. I have an amazing husband, family and friends and God has blessed me with 2 precious children. I could write forever about all that I have to be thankful for. I used to think that 30 was old...funny how prospective changes things! I look back on wonderful memories and can't wait to see what God has in store for the rest of my days! Here's a recap on how things have gone...sorry that I haven't updated sooner.
On Friday, they bumped his feeds up to 60cc's or 2 oz! This is what he needs to be taking from the bottle 8 times a day before he can come home. On Friday he also nursed like a champion for the first time and then got a bottle in the evening. The plan at the time was to give him 1 bottle a day and attempt nursing him 1 time a day giving him at least 1 tube feed in between to "rest"...until yesterday when we hit our first speed bump in 10 days. Daniel went up early to give him his 11am bottle. He latched and began sucking, but he tired quickly, his respiratory rate went up and his oxygen dropped into the 80's (it has stayed high 90's to 100 the entire time!). So they immediately stopped, gave him a rest and tried again. Same thing so they quit. Ordered for his blood gases to be tested and ordered a chest x-ray. All came back great! (His x-ray looked the best yet!) His oxygen went back into the 90's-100 so and with as good as everything else looked there was no need to put him back on oxygen-he just needs to figure this out!
SO-as soon as Daniel came home, I went up and spent the evening with him. I spoke with our nurse practitioner (whom I LOVE) and she reminded me that eating is like exercise for him right now and that this is very common. He just had major surgery, is not even 2 weeks old, attempted 2 feeds or "exercises" on Friday...and was a little tired! I tried to put it into prospective - after having a c-section there is NO WAY I could exercise twice a day. But of course I left at shift change worried about my little man.
But in looking back, day 10 could have been 'surgery day' on ECMO, part of one of our worst case scenario's! I looked back at my old post to see all of the milestones that Preston Banks has achieved and I have so much to be thankful for. I guess I just need some bigger "Patience Panties" as we work through this feeding stuff.
Today (Sunday) Daniel went up this morning and said his second chest x-ray looked great. His respiratory rate is still a little elevated today, so we are going to give him today off of oral feeds too to see if things will settle down a little more and hopefully go back to 1 bottle tomorrow (Monday). Please pray that his respiratory rate will settle as he gets used to life outside of my belly and using his different sized lungs. Please pray for us as we continue to find a "schedule" each day for keeping up with NICU visits and caring for Mary Wallace. Thank you for all of your sweet messages, cards, food and most of all your prayers. God continues to reveal himself in new ways each day as we journey this road!! We have had the best care thus far and LOVE the doctors nurses and staff...God answered that prayer in a big way!
On Friday, they bumped his feeds up to 60cc's or 2 oz! This is what he needs to be taking from the bottle 8 times a day before he can come home. On Friday he also nursed like a champion for the first time and then got a bottle in the evening. The plan at the time was to give him 1 bottle a day and attempt nursing him 1 time a day giving him at least 1 tube feed in between to "rest"...until yesterday when we hit our first speed bump in 10 days. Daniel went up early to give him his 11am bottle. He latched and began sucking, but he tired quickly, his respiratory rate went up and his oxygen dropped into the 80's (it has stayed high 90's to 100 the entire time!). So they immediately stopped, gave him a rest and tried again. Same thing so they quit. Ordered for his blood gases to be tested and ordered a chest x-ray. All came back great! (His x-ray looked the best yet!) His oxygen went back into the 90's-100 so and with as good as everything else looked there was no need to put him back on oxygen-he just needs to figure this out!
SO-as soon as Daniel came home, I went up and spent the evening with him. I spoke with our nurse practitioner (whom I LOVE) and she reminded me that eating is like exercise for him right now and that this is very common. He just had major surgery, is not even 2 weeks old, attempted 2 feeds or "exercises" on Friday...and was a little tired! I tried to put it into prospective - after having a c-section there is NO WAY I could exercise twice a day. But of course I left at shift change worried about my little man.
But in looking back, day 10 could have been 'surgery day' on ECMO, part of one of our worst case scenario's! I looked back at my old post to see all of the milestones that Preston Banks has achieved and I have so much to be thankful for. I guess I just need some bigger "Patience Panties" as we work through this feeding stuff.
Today (Sunday) Daniel went up this morning and said his second chest x-ray looked great. His respiratory rate is still a little elevated today, so we are going to give him today off of oral feeds too to see if things will settle down a little more and hopefully go back to 1 bottle tomorrow (Monday). Please pray that his respiratory rate will settle as he gets used to life outside of my belly and using his different sized lungs. Please pray for us as we continue to find a "schedule" each day for keeping up with NICU visits and caring for Mary Wallace. Thank you for all of your sweet messages, cards, food and most of all your prayers. God continues to reveal himself in new ways each day as we journey this road!! We have had the best care thus far and LOVE the doctors nurses and staff...God answered that prayer in a big way!
ohh, I love the pictures:) He's so cute, Elizabeth! Continuing to pray as your figure out a schedule! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
ReplyDeletepraying about those bumps in the road, friend.
ReplyDeleteAhh, the oral feeds, I think that is every NICU mother's thorn( at least in the step down unit)...be patient, don't get discouraged...he'll get there, I promise!! Little boys seem to get a little excited about eating and forget to breath...Cohen did it, Quinn did it, Preston Banks just didn't want to be left out!! :) Also, remember that even though it's a "get home" requirement don't let it over worry you about your little man....nicu babies are the only ones that get hooked up to monitors while they eat and weighed everyday...but I bet they aren't the only ones to gain a few oz. one day and lose an oz. the next, or to forget to breath while sucking and swallowing or tire out in those first few weeks!!
Love you girl!! He's doing great!!
Happy Birthday!!
Happy birthday, Hug! I remember well the excitement 30 years ago at your birth; I remember the "fret" of your eyes being covered while you were under the light with jaundice (your Papa didn't handle that well at all - I remember a tear rolling from his eyes!) What a wonderful woman you have become and what a blessing you are to our family.
ReplyDeleteI love you, Daniel, MW, and PB beyond words!
Abby
Happy Birthday!!!! What a great birthday! One you will remember forever! I love you!
ReplyDeleteSommer
Gosh he is so cute!! I love that closeup pic of him. And YOU look awesome! He's probably thinking, "My momma is gorgeous!"
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures!!!! Since Aunt Kim is not on facebook, this is the only way I get to see how he has grown. He is absolutely precious. Happy Birthday! You are right...you have so many blessings to celebrate today! Love to all- Aunt Kim
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures!!! Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteIf you didn't have the scars to prove it, I would swear Daniel spit him out!! ; )
ReplyDeleteHope you had a great birthday! Will continue to pray.
ReplyDeleteLook in the NICU for Dr. Nicole Chadha- she is a friend of ours that will be working in the NICU this month.
Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteI've been following your posts (I found them through Sabra's FB posts)& have been praying for you & your family! I hope that Preston Banks continues to improve & will be home where he belongs soon. Happy birthday--your 30's are the best years yet!
I'm seeing a lot of Fitts in that little face... :) - Nancy
ReplyDelete