Sunday, January 24, 2010

What it Feels Like...TO BE PRESTON BANKS' MOMMY!!






Most of you know I have been asking you to pray for this day ever since we found out about his hernia! The morning started off bad when Ashley (my cousin's girlfriend who is a NICU nurse- who has helped us through every step of this!) texted at 6:30am to say that she got "Called Off" of work and would not have Preston Banks today! I began SOBBING...I felt much better about leaving him with Ashley, because she is like family...and now I would have to leave him with some complete stranger...why God, I thought. So, Daniel and I went down to the NICU to investigate who his NICU nurse would be for the day. We met Mrs. Jenny and I immediately liked her. We chatted while she filled us in on his feeding progress (up to 10cc's every 3 hours!) and she let me change his diaper!!! I'm not used to boy pieces and parts and I only saw tee tee, UNTIL I went to wipe good...he had poop!! I got all nervous with all of his cords and such and got poop on one of the wires. I used about 20 wipes (you'd think I've never done this before) and laughed at myself!! Daniel had lots to say about how I was doing, yet he never volunteered to help!! Anyway-Mrs. Jenny and I made a connection through a mutual friend and I left to go pump thinking that it would be ok to leave him. She's nice. So, it came time to leave. Daniel and I went up for one last visit as "patients" at the hospital. I was telling all of the nice nurses thank you and I got to Mrs. Jenny. I thanked her for being so kind and told her that I had asked my friends to pray for this day ever since we found out that we would be "NICU parents", and that her kindness would make this day easier. Of course, I began crying and I told her that there's just nothing "normal" about leaving your baby and not even being able to hold him....and here's how our conversation went...

Jenny: Sit Down

Me: huh


Jenny: Sit down, you are going to hold your baby. You are making me cry

Me: OH NO, I might pull out his chest tube or mess up one of the wires or...

Jenny:SIT DOWN!


So, I followed orders and got to hold my precious Preston Banks for the first time! And God smiled and said..."This is what it feels like to be led...."


...thank you Mrs. Jenny-you made this an answered prayer!

15 comments:

  1. Oh Girl...Tears are just streaming down my face!! How lucky you are to have Ms. Jenny be Preston Banks' nurse. I am so glad you got to hold him in your arms. God has kept you, Daniel and Preston Banks in HIS arms through all of this for sure!! He is going before you like you have prayed, and is providing the best for Preston Banks.
    I got to speak with Mary Wallace on the phone tonight. She was very excited about some "lipstick" (chapstick). She's precious too.
    Take care and know I haven't stopped praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HALLELUJAH!!!!! My heart is bursting with joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth! I am soo thankful you were able to hold Preston Banks today! The pictures are absolutely precious and a reminder that God has heard our prayers! cont to pray he ( and you) will recover well and your family of 4 will all be home together soon!
    Thanks for keeping us updated via the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful!! (tears are streaming down my face too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!

    I have to ask....will you call him Preston Banks or just Preston? Either way I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Elizabeth, I'm so excited that you got to hold your precious baby boy!!! God has his hand in everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited for you and Daniel. Reading your words today just made me cry and how your journey has touched my heart. You are such a strong and faithful woman and I admire you so much. Give Preston Banks a little kiss for me and know that I pray for you every night as I lye down to go to sleep. Love you girl.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. How amazing is God's love! I am so thankful and so happy that you got to finally hold him today before leaving. I need to get a box of tissues to just leave by the computer. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHHH, so happy for you!!(crying!) I did a double take on those pictures...wait, she's HOLDING him! God is so good:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hug,
    How beautiful you look holding that sweet baby boy! And how beautiful he is! I thank God for Ms. Jenny's tender heart - so precious of her to make sure you got to hold that sweet thing. God hears our prayers and answers them in unusual ways and in His own time! I love the four of you beyond words!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not a better feeling in the world! Praise God that he brought you peace today and JOY in holding your sweet boy! Love and continued prayers sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Trying to see the screen through my tears of joy! Your faith and testimony through this journey has been a constant reminder to me just how good our God is! I love you and I can't wait to see you...and I am SOOO glad you got to hold that sweet baby boy of yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful!!! Sometimes you just have to sit and do as you're told! LOL

    What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a blessing! We are thinking of you and baby Preston Banks!

    ReplyDelete